Access to our Office for National Statistics datasets is restricted to ONS Accredited Researchers under the Statistics and Registration Services Act of 2007.
Access to our non-government data is restricted to ESRC Accredited Researchers.
To apply for access to Controlled data via the Secure Lab:
- you need to be registered with the UK Data Service. See our Registration pages for details
- add the required dataset(s) to a registered usage, or create a new usage, via your UK Data Service account
- within the registered usage, click the 'Request permission' link for each dataset(s) required and orders will be submitted
- click the 'Accept special condition' link and information about how to request access to the dataset will be displayed. This includes links to the forms that need to be completed
- click 'I accept' to continue, and an email will be sent to you containing the information that was displayed on the screen
- follow the links to the forms which must be downloaded and completed as necessary. Note: the information you will need to provide will depend on the data you are requesting access to, but all users must be able to supply a static routable IP address
- supply a User Agreement which must be signed by you and your organisation before access can be given to the Secure Lab
- return the completed forms to email@example.com and your request will be processed.
Please note that the application process can take some time - from a few weeks to two months, before access is granted.
If your project has additional researchers please refer to Team projects for information on how to add researchers to your project.